So I thought it would be amusing to follow up on my last post with a silly picture of Benjamin Harrison. There has got to be something, right? My lazy search on Google images didn’t reveal anything though. He really was a boring guy…but there are moments he almost looks like he could be an actor of the Gandalf/old Obi Wan Kenobi/Sean Connery variety.
Cheerful looking, huh? Anyway, all these pictures reminded me of one of my favorite memes:
Of all the presidents, I find Benjamin Harrison the hardest to remember. He was the 23rd president and his single, 4 year term was squashed between two Grover Cleveland terms. I guess that is some claim to fame, but it doesn’t say much about Harrison. Tonight I decided to find some fun facts to make this random president more memorable. These were pulled off Wikipedia and Republicanpresidents.net
- President Benjamin Harrison was the grandson of President William Henry Harrison (the 9th president who is very memorable because he died a month into office)
- Federal spending reached one billion dollars for the first time during Harrison’s presidency
- His daughter graduated from law school in 1919 and passed the bar in Indiana and New York. She also founded an investment newsletter for women. (She sounds way more interesting than her Dad)
- His granddaughter married the great-grandson of President James Garfield (20th president)
- Harrison was the 4th and last president to have a beard
- He was the first president to have electricity in the White House
- He was also the first president to have his voice recorded
- Harrison is the only president to come from Indiana
- In 2012, a dollar coin was release with his face on it (why?!!!!)
In conclusion, Harrisom was kind of a boring guy with a mediocre presidency who had interesting family members.